Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Rainbow Mini Cupcakes


Since I was so proud of myself for making a cake from scratch I decided to make another cake off of Whisk Kids.  So I used one of her Chocolate cake recipes that had a Dark Chocolate Ganache in it, because I love dark Chocolate!  It ended up making mini cakes, for my first time, and they were more like Mini Brownies but it was still good, just a little heavy. The cake was meant to be used as a carmel cake and I skipped that part and just did the cake, my mistake.  Her link is at the bottom of the page if your interested in what the cake really was. This is the part I used though...

Super Chocolate Cake
3/4 c (177ml) heavy cream
1 c (160 g) dark chocolate chips (I used 52%)
2 c (250 g) flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
3/4 c (177 g)butter, cubed and at room temp
1 c (142 g)firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs + 2 yolks, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350F (175C) then grease and line two 6 inch pans.

Heat cream until steaming, then pour over chocolate. Allow to set for 5 minutes, then whisk gently to combine. Allow to cool to room temp (put it in the fridge/freezer for a bit, if you like).

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside

Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, and then add both yolks plus the vanilla. Then, alternating between wet and dry (beginning with wet), add the flour and cream mixtures in 2 additions each. Be sure to scrape down the bowl!

Divide batter into the two prepared pans and bake 35-40 min.



So this was originally meant to be on a Chocolate Carmel Cake, but I didn't bother with the Carmel, which probably made this a lot more moist,  Oh well, you live and learn.  Still love her cakes and her How Tos and plan to try out many more on her website!


Since I wasnt making a Chocolate Carmel Cake I went with my go-to Buttercream frosting for each individual cupcake and changed the colors on every six cup cakes.  It was slightly tedious to do, but loved how they turned out, minus the purple, that looks like a navy blue (sigh) what can you do.  So heres my own recipe that I've tweaked a million times, however, I notice when most people make it, it doesnt turn out the way I make it.  So i'm sorry if its not great.  I find that a lot of recipes turn out by look, feel, and constancy so I hope it works out for you!






Rachels Butter Cream Frosting


What you need:


- 1 Cup Butter
- 1 1/2 T of Madagascar Vanilla
- Pinch of Salt
- 4 T Heavy Cream
- 4 Cups Powder Sugar


In a mixer add room temperature butter to mixer and blend until smooth.  Wipe down the sides of the bowl and add vanilla until mixed with butter.  Add salt and 2 cups of powder sugar blending on low just enough to incorporate the butter.  Next, add 2 T. of Heavy cream and blend IF its having a hard time incorporating, if not, add the rest of the powdered sugar and all the Heavy Cream.  This sounds crazy I know, and its also why its tricky.  Let the frosting come together and then put the mixer on high and whip it until it becomes nice and fluffy. The trick is you dont want to over mix it because otherwise it because hard and gross or curdles.  I like to swipe my finger in and check the consistency to see how spreadable it is.  If it feels like a hard butter you have whipped it too much, think of it as a fluffy buttery texture.  It should be a nice fluffy frosting thats easy to pipe and spread, and not hard.  If its too hard, try adding some milk and powder sugar and see if you can soften it up a bit.  This is only for frosting cakes/cupcakes.  If you are using it for a decorative frosting, use milk or water instead.  I've been making frostings since I was 18 and have played with this recipe a lot.  I found that the Cream adds this amazing flavor and consistency to the frosting.  Hope it works out!







Chocolate Carmel Cake by Whisk Kid
http://whisk-kid.blogspot.com/2009/08/hot-mess.html



3 comments:

  1. Cute new blog design and those cupcakes were good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cupcakes look great! I love the bright colors. I agree, most people make their frosting too stiff and then you can't frost the cake without tearing it apart!

    Super cute.

    ReplyDelete